Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles w/ Cinnamon Whipped Cream

Oh wow. These are good. Like really good. And the whipped cream is a must. I'm kind of on a pumpkin craze right now, so watch out. I think the fact that I know pumpkin is seasonal makes me want to get as much as I can in. Seriously, I grab a can of pumpkin pretty much every time I'm at the store. Don't judge me.

In my quest for a pumpkin waffle recipe, I cam across this one at a blog named solely for the pumpkin waffle. They called it the ultimate, so I figured I'd better give it a try. Leave it to me to change it though. I really wanted some whole wheat goodness in there, so this is my variation. It's a bit of work, but is well worth it.

We start with lots of yummy spices mixed into a delicious batter.

And some glorious whipped cream

Put em together and you've got autumn heaven for breakfast.


Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
{Makes 6-8 standard or 4 Belgian waffles}
Ingredients:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp.nutmeg
1 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Preparation:
Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, flours, baking powder, salt and spices in large bowl and whisk together well.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs yolks, milk, canned pumpkin and melted butter. Once well combined, add pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. Mix lightly- lumps are ok.

In medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter.

Cook waffles on preheated waffle iron, set to desired temperature.Top with cinnamon whipped cream, recipe below.


Cinnamon Whipped Cream
{Makes about 2 cups}
Ingredients:
1 cup cold heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preparation:
Place medium bowl and mixer whisks in freezer for 5-10 minutes. This is especially important if your kitchen is rather warm.

Beat heavy cream on medium high speed until well-thickened. Don't beat too much though, or you'll end up with butter. Add in sugar and cinnamon and beat on low just until combined.
  
Linking up to:
Home Stories A to Z
Funky Junk Interiors