Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps

Sometimes you have a craving and it NEEDS to be satiated. And sometimes, if you're crazy like me, you crave things you've never actually eaten before. In my case, I was seriously craving lettuce wraps from PF Changs, except I wanted ones made with beef. Kind of off considering I could seriously go days on end without eating meat if it weren't for my husband :) But sometimes you just roll with it.
This recipe is by no means a copy cat- just my concoction that I came up with in the kitchen. Let me tell you, it turned out pretty tasty.

Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps
{Serves 4}
Ingredients
1 head iceburg lettuce
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloved garlic, minced
1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 can water chestnuts, finely diced
3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce (I like trader joe's soyaki)

Preparation
The most time consuming part of this recipe will be prepping all of your ingredients, so make sure to do that first to save your sanity. Carefully separate leaves from head of lettuce, wash and set aside on paper towel to dry.

Next, brown ground beef in large skillet. Once browned, drain most of the remaining fat and transfer ground beef to another bowl. Do not rinse out your skillet- you'll want that tiny amount of fat to cook the veggies in.

Add onion, garlic and ginger to skillet and cook over medium heat until onions are soft. Add in green onions, water chestnuts and all sauces. Cook over medium low for 3-4 minutes. Add in cooked ground beef and let the entire mixture simmer on low for about 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.

 To serve, spoon mixture into your lettuce cups, roll up and enjoy.



No comments: