Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Homemade Coffee Syrup

So, yes, I may be mildly obsessed with this whole espresso machine thing. Just roll with it.

Anyway... I started thinking about how I not only love lattes, but I also really love VANILLA lattes. I got to thinking about how I could make one at home. Obviously, I could buy the vanilla syrup from the store, but that stuff is expensive! I figured there had to be some way to replicate it at home.

So I did some internet research and consulted my ever trusty Joy of Cooking Cookbook and came up with this super easy recipe. You're going to be oh so impressed with yourself.



You only need three ingredients. And you probably already have them in your cupboard. How perfect is that?
Even if you're not making lattes at home, you could still use it to spruce up your regular coffee. Or package it up pretty and give it as a gift along with some fancy coffee. Yum!

Homemade Vanilla Coffee Syrup
{makes one cup}
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preparation:
Heat sugar and water together in saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring frequently until sugar is completely dissolved. Cover, and let simmer for 5 additional minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool and transfer to glass or plastic container. Store in refrigerator.

I put mine in leftover balsamic vinegar bottle (which I washed out thoroughly, of course :). If you're transferring to something with a narrow neck, you're definitely going to want a funnel. Use some simple twine and a fine point sharpie, and you have yourself one cute little bottle of vanilla syrup, for a fraction of the cost of the store bought stuff!

2 comments:

shirley girl said...

Lindey, I love it!!!! I imagine that you could pretty much any flavor with the base recipe!!! Thank you so much, winter is on it's way and it will soon be time to try new hot drinks!!!!

Lindsey Adams said...

I think you're right! I have every intention of making a gingerbread syrup and a pumpkin spice syrup as fall approaches!