Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday Words #23 {thoughts on home buying and a free printable}


{free printable}


It's been a while since I talked about home buying. Last time we talked, we were looking in Temecula. Well, things have changed. We thought about it, prayed about, talked and talked and talked about it and came to our decision for two important reasons:

1. That commute is just too long. For me AND Brandon. For me, I thought, well maybe it won't be so bad. I'll get used to it. And then on one ordinary day my 25 minute commute turned into 35 minutes because of traffic and I literally screamed in frustration. Scratch that. I know me and I totally won't get used to it. Brandon could probably hang. He's tough like that. But I think he'd get over it eventually.

2. We wanted a baby (and now we're having one!) and with that, we wanted to be close to family. Yes, Temecula would only put us about 45 minutes away from Brandon's parents and sister, but 45 minutes is not close enough for a hey-let's-go-over-to-grandma-and-grandpa's-house-because-we-feel-like-it dinner. We definitely wouldn't see family as much as we'd like and that is a big downside.

With our $300k budget, Temecula definitely got us a lot. 4-5 bedrooms. A newer home. 2000+ square feet. A gorgeous kitchen. But it with it came a drain on a precious resource: time. Time wasted commuting. Time missing extended family. Although the draw of a shiny new dream home makes me swoon, we both realized it wasn't worth it. For some it might be. But it just wasn't the right decision for us.

So where does that leave us now? We're still buying a home. But now we're focusing on North San Diego County. It's where our family lives. It's where Brandon grew up and I spent my teenage years. I never thought I'd be back, but here we are, searching for a home. It's hard to adjust our expectations. $300k buys you a lot less here than it does in Temecula. But I'm realizing it's enough. We don't need a giant house to be happy. 3 bedrooms works. And so does 1300 square feet (although I'm hoping for more :)

We put in an offer on a short sale about a month and a half ago. The home is right around the corner from Brandon's parents' house. 3 bedrooms. 2.5 baths. GIANT back yard. 1700 square feet. It's pretty amazing. But we haven't heard back. So we're waiting. And waiting. And my impatient pregnant self is like "hello! we have a baby on the way, people. We need to get OUT of our tiny one bedroom." But I know it will all work out. I mean, we do have more than six months. It's not time to freak out yet.

The right home is waiting for us. The home we'll bring our baby to. That home will be filled with love and we'll make lots of memories there. I just need to keep reminding myself to be patient and that "a good home must be made, not bought".

3 comments:

Nikki Correa said...

First off, LOVE this printable!! Second, I know the dear Lord ha the perfect house for you! And whether or not it's this one, I know I will jut LOVE it :)

shirley girl said...

Linds......you are so full of common sense. And, also...so full of love. The right house will come along for all three of you. Love you!!

Rebecca said...

Short sales are KILLERS. My house was a short sale and in the end...all the waiting was worth it. I know, easier said than done. Trust me! If this is the house for you it will work out and if not, something else will. Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!