Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bankers Lamp Redo

Real life: I need to leave for work in 30 minutes. My hair is wet. I have no idea what I'm going to wear and I have zero make up on. AND...I'm blogging. Some might call me insane. Let's just say I'm dedicated.

Anyway....My sweet mother-in-law gave me this old lamp they had laying around at their house. It's been sitting on my desk this way for quite a while. I liked the shape, but the brass look just isn't my style, so I knew something had to be done.



I knew I wanted to spray paint it, but I was lagging. I haven't spray painted anything for quite a while, but as soon as I did, I was wondering why I had waited so long. Seriously, spray painting might be the easiest thing ever. And the transformation is always a big one.

I started off by removing the light bulb and cleaning the lamp thoroughly. Next I taped off any places I didn't want to get painted. Lightly sanding and priming probably would have also been a good step. But I'm impatient and didn't feel like making another trip to Home Depot, so I just went for it.

The color I used was Rustoleum Lagoon in Satin. I used about 3 thin coats. After that, I topped it all off with a gloss topcoat. Now, I actually think I messed it up at that point because the finish began to crackle a bit. Not enough to make me scrap the project all together, but enough to make me annoyed. I think I maybe should have waited longer to put on the gloss coat. There goes that impatience again! So, lesson learned: either don't use a top coat, or give it a day before I spray it on.

Cost for this project:
Lamp: Free
Spray paint supplies (one can of lagoon and one can of gloss): $7
Not bad!

And here it is on my desk. Much better, right?
Alright friends...I better go figure out my life and get my butt to work. Have a fabulous day!

linking up to:
Home Stories A to Z
Thrifty Decor Chick
Shabby Creek Cottage



Photobucket

11 comments:

Nikki Correa said...

Oh my goodness that is precious!! I LOVE the color!!

Brandon said...

The desk is so clean!!

love. lindsey said...

Glad you like it!

love. lindsey said...

Brandon- the clean desk is an illusion. Did you see the dining table??

Kim said...

Great color choice!! I suffer from impatience too, haha!

Angela said...

Looks great! Especially with your color coordinated phone right next to it. :)

love. lindsey said...

I'm thinking turquoise blue might be my new favorite :)

shirley girl said...

I like it! I would have never thought of doing that nor would I have ever thought of using that color. I am afraid to start spray painting, I may become obsessed with it. Love you!!

love. lindsey said...

Just do it, Mom!

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

Ohhhh my goodness I LOVE this makeover!!!!! You nailed it! The style of lamp is so popular and the teal totally saved the color!!! Now I need to find some of these to up-cycle!!! Thanks for the inspiration and for linking up!!!
Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

Sara said...

SO pretty! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-13.html